Pediatric Magnet Ingestion: Get the Facts, Prevent an Injury

Pediatric Magnet Ingestion: Get the Facts, Prevent an Injury

Pediatric Magnet Ingestion: Get the Facts, Prevent an Injury

Powerful, rare earth (neodymium) magnets can cause serious injury and death when ingested.

The CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) has reported an estimated 1,700 ingestions of magnets that were treated in emergency departments between Jan. 1, 2009 and Dec. 31, 2011. These injuries are entirely preventable by removing the magnets from environments with children.

 

Resource Type: 
CSN Publications
Back to Top