Little Magnets = Big Problem: Pediatric Magnet Ingestion

Little Magnets = Big Problem: Pediatric Magnet Ingestion

Dates: 
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 2:00pm

Powerful, rare earth (neodymium) magnets can cause serious injury and death when ingested. The CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) has reported an estimated 1,700 ingestions of magnets that were treated in emergency departments between Jan. 1, 2009 and Dec. 31, 2011. These injuries are entirely preventable by removing the magnets from environments with children. During the webinar, you will learn more about the problems presented by this product and what can be done to prevent future injuries. Speakers include Athos Bousvaros, M.D., NASPGHAN President, R. Adam Noel, Chair NASPGHAN Practitioners Committee, and Andrea Rock, senior editor at Consumer Reports. 

Speakers include Athos Bousvaros, M.D., NASPGHAN President, R. Adam Noel, Chair NASPGHAN Practitioners Committee, and Andrea Rock, senior editor at Consumer Reports. 

CSN’s flier on the dangers of magnet ingestion

CSN's press release on the issue 

PowerPoint slides from this presentation

AttachmentSize
PDF icon NeodymiumMagnetsWebinar_Final.pdf2.36 MB
Back to Top