Definition: Bike safety requires consistent and correct use of helmets and compliance with legal riding practices to prevent collisions with motor vehicles, pedestrians, and other bicyclists.
Magnitude of the Problem:
- According to Safe Kids, every day almost 630 children are injured due to cycle-related crashes.
- Approximately 229,811 children went to the ER for bicycle-related injuries in 2009.
- In 2008, 11% of bicycle-motor vehicle crash fatalities were children ages 0-14. Children accounted for 21% of nonfatal injuries in this category, according to NHTSA.
Prevention: Strategies to improve bicycle safety include:
- properly wearing a helmet approved by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission
- educating individuals on the correct use of helmets
- helmet subsidies and give-away programs
- implementing helmet use legislation
Injury Prevention Links
- May 2012
- Oct 2011