Definition: Unintentional injuries that occur in and around the home can include burns, falls, drowning, poisonings (including from lead, carbon monoxide, household cleaners, and prescription medications), animal bites, and choking/suffocation.
Magnitude of the Problem: According to the CDC:
- Home and recreation injuries account for one third of all injury-related emergency room visits.
- Over 4 out of 5 fire deaths in happened in peoples' homes.
- Younger children are more at risk for scalding burns resulting from hot liquids or steam while older children have more injuries due to direct flame burns.
- 374 children ages 0 to 19 are treated in an emergency department and two children die as a result of being poisoned each day in the U.S., according to the CDC.
Prevention: Home injuries are preventable. Raising awareness among parents and caregivers of the risks of injuries to children in the home, and the importance of implementing safety measures, is the first step in preventing home injuries to children. Home safety checklists are useful tools for parents to assess the risk of injury in their homes. Smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm give-away programs in at-risk communities are also useful tools to protect public health. Ensuring playground equipment is safe and properly maintained and has a soft landing surface can help prevent fall injuries in children. Strong State child care licensing regulations can help keep children safe in at-home child care settings.
- Products and activities associated with non-fatal traumatic brain injuries in children and adolescents – United States 2010-2013 Aug 2019
- Consumer Products Contributing to Fall Injuries in Children Aged <1 to 19 Years Treated in US Emergency Departments, 2010 to 2013: An Observational Study Jan 2019
CSN Resource Guide
- Internet Safety: 2014 Resource Guide Nov 2014
- Preventing e-Cigarette Poisonings among Children and Youth: Policy and Practice Dec 2016
- Preventing TV and Furniture Tip-Overs: An Introduction to the Anchor It! Campaign Jun 2015
- Integrating Infant/Child Safety into Programs and Services for Expectant Parents - Community of Practice: Session 1 Oct 2012
- Safe and healthy homes: what can be done? Mar 2010
- Protecting Families at Home: Best Practices, New Products and Resources Apr 2009
Injury Prevention Links
- Jun 2015
- Nov 2012
- Sep 2012
- Apr 2012
- Feb 2012
- Oct 2011
- Oct 2011
- Oct 2011