Definition: The CDC defines poison as any substance that is harmful to your body when ingested, inhaled, injected, or absorbed through the skin.
Magnitude of the Problem:
- According to the CDC,
- In 2009, 76% of the 41,592 poisoning deaths in the U.S. were unintentional, and 8% were of undetermined intent
- In 2009, 14% of the 41,592 poisoning deaths in the U.S. were intentional; the majority were suicides
- In 2008, 91% of unintentional and undetermined poisoning deaths were caused by drugs (this includes prescription medication)
- An estimated 71,000 children 18 years or younger went to the ED each year due to medication poisonings between 2004 and 2005; over 80% were due to unsupervised children finding and taking medications.
- According to the Health Resources and Services Administration's Poison Help project, 51% of poisoning exposures occur in children under age 6
Prevention: Poison Control Centers can be valuable resources in helping to prevent poisonings in communities. They can also be cost saving services for states, according to the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) for every dollar spent on Poison Control Center services, $7 is saved in medical spending. Raising awareness about poison prevention resources can be done through National Poison Prevention Week, which occurs every March. National organizations like the Home Safety Council and the American Association of Poison Control Centers can provide educational materials to help individuals understand common poisons found in the home, and steps to take to reduce risks and help keep children safe.
CSN Resource Guide
- Preventing e-Cigarette Poisonings among Children and Youth: Policy and Practice Dec 2016
- Preventing E-Cigarette Poisoning among Children and Youth Dec 2014
- The Role of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs in Protecting Children and Youth Mar 2014
- Antidotal Hormone Therapy in Toxicology May 2010
- Feasibility of Enhanced Surveillance for Poisonings Jun 2009
Injury Prevention Links
- Mar 2013
- Oct 2012
- May 2012
- Mar 2012
- Oct 2011
- Jan 2011