Definition: Suicide is defined as death from injury, poisoning, or suffocation where there is evidence that a self-inflicted act led to the person's death. It is important to recognize the warning signs of suicide, which include talking about harming or killing oneself. Knowing the risk factors and responding appropriately to warning signs can be effective at preventing youth suicide.
Magnitude of the Problem: Suicide is the second leading cause of death for youth between the ages of 10 and 24 and results in the loss of an average of 5,183 lives each year (CDC WISQARS). According to the 2015 Youth Risk Behavior Survey report:
- 17.7% of students, grade 9-12, reported that they had seriously considered suicide in the previous 12 months.
- 8.6% of students reported making at least one suicide attempt in the previous 12 months.
- 2.8% of students reported making at least one suicide attempt in the previous 12 months that required medical attention.
Prevention: Strategies for preventing youth suicides may include:
- enhancing protective factors,
- reducing risk factors,
- strengthening norms that support help-seeking behaviors,
- implementing screening and prevention activities for high-risk groups, and
- primary prevention of conditions such as depression, impulsive behavior, and drug or alcohol abuse.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS) [online], Fatal Injury Reports, 2010-2015.
- Change Packages and Outcome Measure Worksheets May 2018
- Costs of Leading Childhood Injuries Fact Sheet Nov 2017
- Evidence-Based Strategies and Readings in Five Injury Topics Jul 2017
- Stories of Innovation: Collecting Real-Time Outcomes Data for Injury Prevention Jun 2017
- Firearm-Related Injuries among Children Ages 0 Through 14 Mar 2014
- Firearm-Related Injuries among Youth Ages 15 Through 24 Mar 2014
- Focus on Youth Suicide Prevention: Resource Guide 2012 Sep 2012
- National Performance Measure Maps: Motor Vehicle and Suicide Sep 2012
- Youth Suicide Prevention: Analysis and Summaries of FY09 State MCH Plans for National Performance Measure #16 Mar 2010
CSN Resource Guide
- Injury Disparities: Suicides May 2018
- The Medical Costs of Childhood Injuries: Deaths Nov 2017
- The Medical Costs of Childhood Injuries: Emergency Department Visits Nov 2017
- The Medical Costs of Childhood Injuries: Hospitalizations Nov 2017
- Magnitude of Firearm-Related Fatalities in Children & Youth Dec 2013
- Firearm-Related Fatalities in US Children & Youth: Homicide, Suicide, and Unintentional Nov 2013
- Preventing Suicide and Self-Harm Among Black Youth Sep 2020
- Screening Youth for Suicide Risk Jul 2019
- South to Southwest S2SW Webinar Planning for Prevention: Practical Tools to Organize Suicide Prevention Efforts in Your Community Apr 2014
- South to Southwest S2SW Webinar Using Online Communications Approaches for Suicide Prevention Jan 2014
- South to Southwest S2SW Webinar Suicide Prevention Basics and How to Get Started Oct 2013
- Youth Suicide Prevention Community of Practice: Final Session - Spotlight on North Dakota Jan 2013
- Youth Suicide Prevention Community of Practice: The Mental Health Consequences of Bullying Nov 2012
- Youth Suicide Prevention Community of Practice: The Connections between Adolescent Brain Development and Suicide Prevention Aug 2012
- Youth Suicide Prevention Community of Practice: The Relationship between Child Maltreatment and Suicide & A Comprehensive Approach to Suicide Prevention Jun 2012
- Youth Suicide Prevention Community of Practice: Peer-to-Peer Mental Health Promotion May 2012
- Youth Suicide Prevention Community of Practice: Special Populations in Youth Suicide Prevention: Rural and LGBTQ Youth Mar 2012
- Youth Suicide Prevention Community of Practice: Evidence-based and Promising Practices in Youth Suicide Prevention Feb 2012
- Review of Suicide and Suicide Attempt Data Sources: Insights and Recommendations Sep 2009
Injury Prevention Links
- Jan 2017